Antique Furniture/E.F. Caldwell Andirons

I would like to know about these andirons. I believe they are by E.F. Caldwell, but are they? What value do they have, if any. They are 28" tall.

Usually I would reject a question about things other than furniture but these deserve a public reply.

Being unable to examine these in person makes it impossible to determine if they are from the E F Caldwell firm in New York.

Not everything was marked by the firm but have you looked carefully at all surfaces?  There would most likely be a "C" in a diamond.  But do NOT do any cleaning to the andirons to find the mark, it would be raised or engraved.

There is a picture of these andirons, not exact but very close in the picture i am going to post so you can see the slight differences.  this does not mean these are or are not from EFCaldwell but is a picture from a Smithsonian collection.

Here is some information I have:

pictured here:

I recommend that you find someone who is an expert on EFCaldwell items and have them look at these personally.  Where are you located as perhaps i can help you find someone?

These could be worth $1000 or many thousands of dollars depending on whether or not they can be verified as EFCaldwell.

You may contact me by private email if you do not wish to put your city and state on this public forum.  

Antique Furniture

robert klein

Regarding American antique, vintage, and collectible furniture I can help with wood identification, styles, age, periods, historical coatings, materials, techniques, repair, restoration, refinishing. Please read instructions for posting.

I have been in the antiques furniture and restoration business and in the sales of American antique furniture for 40+ years and have continued my education in the trade attending workshops and seminars through several organizations.

Professional Refinishers Groop, Int., AIC, Antiques Dealers Association

BA Florida State University BA University of West Florida 1971

They deserve privacy, sorry.