Antique Furniture/Peck & Hill Bedroom Ser

Question
Bedroom 1 of 2
Bedroom 1 of 2  

Bedroom 2 of 2
Bedroom 2 of 2  
I am trying to determine the style of this furniture. I am doing a 1930's bedroom and want to make sure this furniture style was not after that time period. Also someone painted it white. Since the furniture is old I would want to restore it to its original color. Would that be a bad idea as it might damag it?

Answer
this style is called colonial revival and is from 1910-20.

be careful, this would have been walnut veneer, nothing wrong with veneer, but it was painted for a reason, you do not know the condition of the surfaces under the paint.

I cannot tell you if you would damage it by restoration.  if your skills are good at this then there should be no problem but i will tell you that stripping painted furniture is a chore.  If i were to do this it would cost about 3500$ to redo.  if there were no repairs.
also many times the carving on this could be compo, a gesso and binder mix rather than wood and could deform when stripper hits it.  you should gently scrape it to see, if it is compo or gesso then it will be white under the paint or off white.

Antique Furniture

robert klein