Antique Furniture/Saginaw Furniture Shops Secretary Hutch

Secretary Closed Front
Secretary Closed Front  

Secretary Interior
Secretary Interior  
I have a secretary/hutch made by the Saginaw Furniture Shops and I would love any information regarding this piece (ie: approx. age, style, approx. selling price, etc.). It has 3 shelves in the upper hutch with locking glass front doors. The bottom has 3 large drawers. Inside the secretary, there are several mail compartments and a small drawer. The secretary also has a working lock. Any help would be appreciated as I'm having a very hard time gleaming any information online about this piece. Thank you for your time!

These were sold in the 1910-1920s as secretaries by most companies.  other companies called them desks but most companies referred to the 'desk' as having no bookcase top.

the wood in the front of the drawers and fall front is flame grain mahogany.  i can really see the rest but mahogany is generally what we see these in.  often the sides and case, feet are sweet gum but stained to match.

I have sold seveal of these in the last 3-4 years from 750 for a small one in ok surface condition to 1450 for ones it excellent condition.

when searching online many folks and dealers call these Gov. Winthrop secretaries.  why i dont know as he never owned one.  They were serpentine shaped on the bottom drawers and had a shaped, goose neck crown where yours is straight.

not sure what else you wanted to know.  

Antique Furniture

robert klein

Regarding American antique, vintage, and collectible furniture I can help with wood identification, styles, age, periods, historical coatings, materials, techniques, repair, restoration, refinishing. Please read instructions for posting.

I have been in the antiques furniture and restoration business and in the sales of American antique furniture for 40+ years and have continued my education in the trade attending workshops and seminars through several organizations.

Professional Refinishers Groop, Int., AIC, Antiques Dealers Association

BA Florida State University BA University of West Florida 1971

They deserve privacy, sorry.