Antique Furniture/Secretary Desk

Question
Secretary
Secretary  

Secretary closed
Secretary closed  
My mother [95] has a family piece that she'd like to know something about if possible, i.e. age and where it might have been made. She remembers it in her uncle's doctor office, filled with bottles of pills. The secretary has a fold down desk and cabinet below, with glass fronted shelves above. Inside the desk are three shallow drawers, plus you can lift up two halves of the desk part to put things underneath.

Answer
Use the followup function and post a picture of the outside of a drawer where the side meets the front.  also, a picture of the bottom of that drawer taken of the outside of the bottom from the rear so i can see the back of the drawer and the bottom in one picture.

If the pictures show what i think they will this would be a mahogany veneered Empire piece made around 1830-40.  It is a secretary desk with bookcase, should be in two parts.  The back side of the doors would show a different grain pattern than the fronts as the door panel and well as the frames-lower doors-are veneered over a solid panel.  the panel may be flat on the back or chamfered.  check to see if the glass is old glass or replacement panes.  it is easy to tell, newer glass is not wavy.

this is a good piece and depending on the shop selling it it would start at 2500$ and could go as high as 3500$.  condition is everything and the condition looks good but could use a waxing with the appropriate wax and proper waxing technique.  These are truly family heirlooms and you are fortunate to be the present caretaker.

i had the opportunity to buy a very similar if not identical, or as identical as it gets, piece two years ago in VA but part of the crown molding was missing so I passed.  The overall condition wasnt a good as yours.  

Antique Furniture

robert klein