Antique Furniture/Antique Maddox Mahogany Serpentine 4 Drawer Secretary/ Desk/ Cabinet W/claw Feet

Question
Spindle
Spindle  
Secretary/Desk
Secretary/Desk  
QUESTION: I am writing because I am not sure if the spindle in the middle on top of the Antique Maddox Mahogany Serpentine 4 Drawer Secretary/ Desk/ Cabinet W/claw Feet I have is the correct spindle.  My parents always had this piece of furniture in the house and I am not sure where it came from or how old it is.  From researching on the web I believe it is the Maddox Serpentine 4 drawer Secretary.  The glass is broken on side and the wooden piece is missing.  Just wondered if I do have the wrong spindle on top, if you know where I might find one.  Appreciate all the info you can give.  Look forward to hearing from you.

Thank you and God Bless...
Janet

desk finale
desk finale  
desk interior
desk interior  
ANSWER: Maddox labeled most all of their desks, one label was brass and was on the rear, other was paper also on the rear.  many companies made these some well made some not, i can see by the form yours was well done.  inside there should be a shaped interior or pigeon holes with a door in the center and two vertical drawers flanking the door, with 4 horizontal drawers as well.

as to the finale there were several types used.  I have attached a picture of the flame style on one I sold earlier this year.  what you have to do is look at it very closly to see if the finish matches in color, texture, and feel to the rest of the desk.  also see if it comes off easily, sometimes they are not hard fastened.  do some inspection and see what you think and get back to me. The arch at the top is called a broken arch with pediment.

from what i can see, it looks right.

this is mahogany veneer on the fall front and drawer fronts, the rest maybe maybe not as was common.  you need to wax this piece, NO OILS, use toluene free Briwax in the antique mahogany color.  waxing should take about three hours to do properly, follow directions on the can.

this was made between 1920 and 1940.  they are good sellers, seems like everyone wants one, they look good and are useful!

attached is a picture of what the interior might look like.

Mold on drawer
Mold on drawer  
Tag on back
Tag on back  
QUESTION: Hello;  I really appreciated the information you provided.  I found a partial label on the back of the  secretary, it was made by Northwesstern Cabinet Co., Burllington, Iowa.  The inside of the desk is the same as the picture you provded.  My second question is; It looks like some mold or something is on the front center drawer inside the secretary.  I have a picture attached.  Could you provide me with information on what I should use to try and clean it?   Look forward to hearing from you.  I appreciate all your input.  '

Take care, and God Bless

Janet Rose

ANSWER: not being sure of what it is first have you tried wiping with a dry rag, wet rag, anything?
if so what happened, if not, try and tell me what happens.

mold usually is not quite so linear, more random.  i am wondering if it may be discolored finish or maybe some tape residue.

send a close picture of the drawer front and rear of the drawer front to my email.

Front of Drawer
Front of Drawer  

Rear picture of drawer
Rear picture of drawer  
QUESTION: I am sending you a close up picture of the front and rear of the drawer.  You will notice the inside of the drawer looks like something may of been spilled in there.  I have tried wiping it off with a dry and wet rag, doesn't seem to change.  Not sure if it is mold or something else.  Appreciate your assistance.

Take care and God Bless

Janet Rose

Answer
yes the drawer has been wet. it is not mold on the outside but is called bloom or blush.

what has happened is moisture has become trapped in the coating on the drwer front.

take the hardware off the drawer if possible.

purchase "blush eliminator" or 'quick blush eliminator'  from woodfinishersdepot.com

spray it on the front of the drawer, lightly the first time.  if it doesnt go away spray it on a little heavier the next time.

the eliminator is a blend of solvents that will soften the finish and allow the moisture to leave.  it must be used in a warm dry area preferably allow to warm in the sun or with hair dryer first then spray it on  you may have to do this a couple of times.
dont use home remedies like rubbing mayo, toothpaste, oil, or sanding.

Antique Furniture

robert klein