Antique Furniture/Sofa and Chair

Question
Sofa and Chair
Sofa and Chair  
Sofa and Chair
Sofa and Chair  
QUESTION: This sofa and chair have been in my husband's family for at least 90yrs. I have tried to find comparable styles but have not been successful. The arms are fully carved (we think it could be walnut)with a cornucopia design. The pieces had been in VA originally then to Wyoming and back to VA and have most recently been in CA for at least 70yrs. They were re-uphostered in about 1980. I would like to know if they could be much older than 100 yrs old? Where would they have been made? Besides their intrinsic family value what are these pieces worth?

Thanks for the help.

ANSWER: please use the followup function and post an oblique  full view picture front and rear
send a third of a close clear view showing the wood grain on a smooth area.  make them clear and in focus please

thanks

Sofa Front
Sofa Front  

Wood up close
Wood up close  
QUESTION: There they are--what do you think?

Answer
I dont see walnut wood, more like sweet gum but if you would send a few more pictures to my email it would be appreciated.

for insurance replacement values, not resale numbers, i would put 3500 on the sofa and 1800 on the chair as they sit.

for resale, the fabric hurts since anyone would put their own taste on it but that is what most items were covered with in the 90s and early 90s.  resale as they sit would be about one third of the insurance replacement value.

if waxed and recovered i could see these having a higher market value if in a high end store.

these are really nice pieces from around 1900 possibly 1890 but without seeing the interior wood (bare frame) no one can know for certainty.  very high end pieces were made into the 1920 period.  these are high end.

Antique Furniture

robert klein