Antique Furniture/Furniture stripping problem

Question
stripped leg
stripped leg  

unstripped leg
unstripped leg  
I'm restoring a mahogany table. Had problems getting the old finish to come off the table top using "Super Remover" stripped but it came off in sheets using lots of stripper. The same stripper isn't touching the legs. I have put on several coats and have let it sit for hours and the finish appears not to react to the stripper. Using course steel wool the old finish will ware off but not come off evenly. If you let the stripper dry on, the surface appears to crystallize and a very thin layer can be rubbed off.Acetone will not touch it.
This table I think is from the 60's or 70's made in Malaysia, expensive in the day. The top has come out beautifully, hate to give up at this point. I would appreciate any suggestions you have. Thanks ed

Answer
i am not familiar with the stripper and the blend is unknown to me.

i always use stripper that is not the gel or thick type and is always at least 85% methylene chloride.

sometimes if the stripper will not penetrate the coating it is necessary to lightly rub the finish, not wood, but the finish with a coarse sandpaper (100 grit) to break the surface, this allows the stripper to get under the coating.  

Antique Furniture

robert klein