Antique Furniture/Imperial Grand Rapids All Mahogany Game Table

Question
Front
Front  

Stamps
Stamps  
I inherited this table from my great-grandmother and have been trying to find out more about it. I have seen similar tables in my searches online, but haven't found this model. It swivels and folds out to twice the size. It has, what I assume is bronze, claw feet. My questions are: 1) about what year was this table made, 2) approximate value, and 3) would you recommend an official written appraisal on this piece for insurance purposes? We are moving soon and I am nervous about letting a moving company handle this sentimental piece! Thank you in advance.

Answer
it is a sheraton style, duncan phyfe style and/or a Federal style game table.
The first two names are designers/furniture makers that are known for this style beginning back around 1800.  Federal style is that style built from those designs that encompasses what is referred to as the Federal period, early 1800s.  

your table is mahogany but is manufactured in that style around 1920-40.
in a store it would sell around 650-850.  insurance replacement value it would be about 2.5 times higher but that is not a realistic selling price, it is an insurance replacement value.

the type of base is called a harp or lyre base.

you should probably take the top off the base, wrap it well with good furniture pads, if it can be easily done, and move it yourself.

Antique Furniture

robert klein