Antique Furniture/antique open arm chair

antique open arm chair
antique open arm chair  
top view of antique open arm chair
top view of antique op  
QUESTION: I bought two antique wood and leather chairs about 9-10 years ago from an estate sale. The man who owned them has past away and his children were selling his things. I was told that the chairs were over 100 years old, at the time. The chair I'm  questioning you about now, is a wood and leather chair with "square" type deisgn on the two front feet. The leather is all intact, as well as the rivets. Thanks for any info you might know about this chair.

ANSWER: although this chair is not a mat nor done with the same level of design it is still one of the above avers designs and of the best condition.

everything in the other post will apply just know the first chair is of higher caliber.  remembering when comparing to the top of the line it is still way above average.  the curve of the arms is spectacular and is very much of the empire period, or as fancy people say neo-classical.

cannot see clearly but the woods in the is probably birch, cherry or maple.  back splats look to be ribbon stripe mahogany but could be figured birch.

you might not want to expose it to direct heat, if the fireplace is hot.

anything more that you want to know.  the question was general and i dont want to leave anything out.

QUESTION: Thank you very much! I have not oiled either if the chairs but have wanted to do something....I just didn't know what to do.

I have someone who saw the claw foot rocker in the other post....I'll re-post this question in that link, too. They are offering $300 but I didn't know what it was worth (Market Value). I absolutely love both these chairs and aren't WANTING to sell either one. But was curious of their market value... Both chairs....and if the $300 was a GREAT OFFER that I will never see again, or if I would be "giving it away" at that price.

I really appreciate the info about them both! It's so neat to learn about them.

again 300 is ok and would be an auction price.

however, this is one of the better ones.  in a high end shop after cleaning repairing anything that needs it it would price 750 retail in a shop.  the straight chair would not price here.

like i said before, this is a good rocker, better than any i have seen in this style  

Antique Furniture

robert klein

Regarding American antique, vintage, and collectible furniture I can help with wood identification, styles, age, periods, historical coatings, materials, techniques, repair, restoration, refinishing. Please read instructions for posting.

I have been in the antiques furniture and restoration business and in the sales of American antique furniture for 40+ years and have continued my education in the trade attending workshops and seminars through several organizations.

Professional Refinishers Groop, Int., AIC, Antiques Dealers Association

BA Florida State University BA University of West Florida 1971

They deserve privacy, sorry.