Antique Furniture/Chair and a Half

Chair and a Half 1
Chair and a Half 1  

Chair and a Half 2
Chair and a Half 2  
I'm not sure what to call this: settee, loveseat, chair and a half. I bought it for $40 with the intention of developing some reupholstering skills. Someone had already started but never finished. My plan is to strengthen the joints, paint the piece and reupholster it. I'm just wondering if you can add any insight to this piece, such as age, wood, period, estimated value. Thanks.

1890-1910 late victorian style loveseat in birch wood originally stained to mahogany and was part of a parlor set.   

when you say strengthen the joints please allow me to add that the best way is to take the piece apart and reglue.

will sell better if done darker like a mahogany.  

Antique Furniture

robert klein

Regarding American antique, vintage, and collectible furniture I can help with wood identification, styles, age, periods, historical coatings, materials, techniques, repair, restoration, refinishing. Please read instructions for posting.

I have been in the antiques furniture and restoration business and in the sales of American antique furniture for 40+ years and have continued my education in the trade attending workshops and seminars through several organizations.

Professional Refinishers Groop, Int., AIC, Antiques Dealers Association

BA Florida State University BA University of West Florida 1971

They deserve privacy, sorry.