Antique Furniture/Grandmother Clock

Full Frontal
Full Frontal  

Detail of mechanism
Detail of mechanism  
I love this clock, although I know nothing about Grandmother Clocks. I bought it at an estate sale on Saturday and was assured it works and is about 100 years old. In terms of design, the case is quite basic. My husband says the wood is dry and needs some teal oil or the like. I can't find original markings on it, but a local clock company's label suggests work was done on it. Can you give me any information on the age of this piece, the wood, style, period, value -- anything. Thanks so much.

show picture of it closed and a pic of the back.
what does the label say on the back of the door.
is there any writing on the mechanism, inspect closly, take the weights off and slide the mech out.

oil for dried wood.  wood will seek equilibrium with surrounding atmosphere you cannot moisturize wood.  best to determine if there is a finish on the wood now and add.  
I am not a fan of oil finishes.  i prefer film forming finishes
coatings.  shellac, lacquer.  oil finishes come in all flavors, teak, walnut, tung, danish oil etc.  

clock appears to be european in origin.

you may send pics to my email, clear, will lit, and include the post with the pictures.

Antique Furniture

robert klein

Regarding American antique, vintage, and collectible furniture I can help with wood identification, styles, age, periods, historical coatings, materials, techniques, repair, restoration, refinishing. Please read instructions for posting.

I have been in the antiques furniture and restoration business and in the sales of American antique furniture for 40+ years and have continued my education in the trade attending workshops and seminars through several organizations.

Professional Refinishers Groop, Int., AIC, Antiques Dealers Association

BA Florida State University BA University of West Florida 1971

They deserve privacy, sorry.