Antique Furniture/Authentic Duncan Phyfe?

QUESTION: I recently purchased this table from a thrift store. Upon inspecting it, I found it to have no marking of manufacturer anywhere on it, and I almost wondered if it was hand-carved. I looked more into it, and it has a lion head handle on the front drawer, lighter-weight wood (not heavy at all, but made with real wood), and is a dark brown with a slight red tint. The legs are smooth and elegant but have a little notch toward the foot. The only distinguishing mark can be found on the underside of the drawer. It says, "No. 473." in a blue ink. Even still, everything else has no mark or name/brand/etc. It looks as if it is old and possibly has had a couple extra nails put into it over time; I'm not sure. I will attach photos, and email the rest.

Upon looking up the lion head and style, I ran across the possibility of a true Duncan Phyfe furniture piece.

What do you think? Who do I contact to find out for sure?

ANSWER: answered by private emails

QUESTION: Didn't get any emails :)

sorry.  guess the email didnt go through.

The table is duncan phyfe or sheraton style, even can be called federal style.  it is a 1930-1940s vintage machine made.  more often than not manufacturers did not label items, the numbers could be style or color number designation.

top is likely mahogany veneer and the base sweet gum all stained to a red mahogany color.

nice stand sold originally for an end table or lamp table.

Antique Furniture

robert klein

Regarding American antique, vintage, and collectible furniture I can help with wood identification, styles, age, periods, historical coatings, materials, techniques, repair, restoration, refinishing. Please read instructions for posting.

I have been in the antiques furniture and restoration business and in the sales of American antique furniture for 40+ years and have continued my education in the trade attending workshops and seminars through several organizations.

Professional Refinishers Groop, Int., AIC, Antiques Dealers Association

BA Florida State University BA University of West Florida 1971

They deserve privacy, sorry.