Antique Furniture/Berkey and Gay Sideboard/Buffet

Berkey and Gay Label
Berkey and Gay Label  

Buffet or Sideboard
Buffet or Sideboard  
I was wondering if you could tell me how old this piece is, what it would be valued at, and the best way to clean it? I intend to keep it and use it so I definitely want to clean it well. It does have minor scratches but all doors and drawers function with ease. I have googled Berkey and Gay Furniture company but can't find a piece similar to this. Thanks for your help!

Hi Jennifer,

Your Berkey and Gay, technically a buffet and not a sideboard,  was manufactured sometime
during the 1940's, out of solid mahogany and mahogany veneers.

For a gentle cleaning, I recommend that you use Murphy's oil soap and tepid water
with a cotton rag well rung out.  Once dry you can use furniture marker sticks, but
do not use Old English since the oils with etch into the wood and cause permanent

As for value, pieces like yours have gone into somewhat of a free-fall and I see them
going begging for $300 to $400.

Best Wishes and good luck with your project.

George E. Harrison III

Antique Furniture

George E. Harrison III

I am able to answer most questions pertaining to the authenticity,collectability and values of high-end reproduction furniture. As an example, quality furniture produced by leading manufacturers such as Baker, Kittinger, Kindel, Saybolt-Cleland furniture companies. I must have at least one photo for advice. PLEASE READ: No questions will be answered without a photo. View our website at for a sampling of our expertise.

For the past 40 years I have been dealing in the appraisal, buying and selling of fine, pre-owned antique and reproduction furniture. Over the years we have served leading museums, governmental institutions, Fortune 500 companies as well as private collectors. View our website at for a sampling of our expertise. Also, be sure to read our testimonial page.

Maine Antiques Digest

Philadelphia College of Art Study for cabinetmaking.

My honors are my ability to satisfy the highest caliber of my client base, both nationally and internationally. Refer to:

You may refer to my website, for comments posted by our prestigious client base.