Antique Furniture/Berkey and Gay Sideboard/Buffet

Question
Berkey and Gay Label
Berkey and Gay Label  

Buffet or Sideboard
Buffet or Sideboard  
I was wondering if you could tell me how old this piece is, what it would be valued at, and the best way to clean it? I intend to keep it and use it so I definitely want to clean it well. It does have minor scratches but all doors and drawers function with ease. I have googled Berkey and Gay Furniture company but can't find a piece similar to this. Thanks for your help!

Answer
Hi Jennifer,

Your Berkey and Gay, technically a buffet and not a sideboard,  was manufactured sometime
during the 1940's, out of solid mahogany and mahogany veneers.

For a gentle cleaning, I recommend that you use Murphy's oil soap and tepid water
with a cotton rag well rung out.  Once dry you can use furniture marker sticks, but
do not use Old English since the oils with etch into the wood and cause permanent
staining.

As for value, pieces like yours have gone into somewhat of a free-fall and I see them
going begging for $300 to $400.

Best Wishes and good luck with your project.

George E. Harrison III
<www.americanainteriors.com/>

Antique Furniture

George E. Harrison III