Antique Furniture/vintage rocking chair

Rocking chair
Rocking chair  
I'd like some information regarding a rocking chair that is over 75 years old. It is oak unfortunately, under two coats of paint. It's rather large. What is the style, where would it be from? thank you.

Hi Mary,

What you have is a later oak stylized example of an original Boston Rocker,
which was quite popular throughout the New England states, throughout spanning
the 19th century into the 20th century.

I date your chair a the turn of the 19th century, perhaps 1900, to 1910.
Unfortunately, the layers of paint has compromised the value of the chair,
reducing it's value to $75. to $100.

The original Boston were often painted black with fine yellow pin striping
and floral or fruit stenciling to the top crest rail. For more details, got to
Google and type in Boston Rocker and click on images

Best Wishes,

George E. Harrison III

Antique Furniture

George E. Harrison III

I am able to answer most questions pertaining to the authenticity,collectability and values of high-end reproduction furniture. As an example, quality furniture produced by leading manufacturers such as Baker, Kittinger, Kindel, Saybolt-Cleland furniture companies. I must have at least one photo for advice. PLEASE READ: No questions will be answered without a photo. View our website at for a sampling of our expertise.

For the past 40 years I have been dealing in the appraisal, buying and selling of fine, pre-owned antique and reproduction furniture. Over the years we have served leading museums, governmental institutions, Fortune 500 companies as well as private collectors. View our website at for a sampling of our expertise. Also, be sure to read our testimonial page.

Maine Antiques Digest

Philadelphia College of Art Study for cabinetmaking.

My honors are my ability to satisfy the highest caliber of my client base, both nationally and internationally. Refer to:

You may refer to my website, for comments posted by our prestigious client base.