Antique Furniture/vintage rocking chair

Question
rocker
rocker  

Rocking chair
Rocking chair  
I'd like some information regarding a rocking chair that is over 75 years old. It is oak unfortunately, under two coats of paint. It's rather large. What is the style, where would it be from? thank you.

Answer
Hi Mary,

What you have is a later oak stylized example of an original Boston Rocker,
which was quite popular throughout the New England states, throughout spanning
the 19th century into the 20th century.

I date your chair a the turn of the 19th century, perhaps 1900, to 1910.
Unfortunately, the layers of paint has compromised the value of the chair,
reducing it's value to $75. to $100.

The original Boston were often painted black with fine yellow pin striping
and floral or fruit stenciling to the top crest rail. For more details, got to
Google and type in Boston Rocker and click on images

Best Wishes,

George E. Harrison III
<ww.americanainteriors.com/>

Antique Furniture

George E. Harrison III