Antique Furniture/Buffet/Sideboard age

Question
Antique Chair
Antique Chair  

Buffet
Buffet  
I inherited this from my grandparents who grew up in Tuscumbia, AL. I now live in Minnesota and don't want the age of this to slip away and am having trouble finding a reference to the wooden wheat decoration to age it properly. Wondering if you can identify what era this was made as well as the first image of a chair with very ornate wood work. I would like to have to chair redone and want to make sure I find an expert on this era. My son pulled out a few nails that looked hand made and believe there are still a few wooden ones holding the seat to the back rest and it has iron castors on the front.

Answer
Hi Mary-Katie,

While there was countless furniture manufactures, particularly in the Grand Rapids, Michigan
area, which is where I feel your were made, it is exceedingly difficult to say which company in particular made your pieces. I date them to the early 1900's to the 1920's. They are pieces that were built to a lower price point with a minimal amount of hand work with all carving work being done on a duplicator machine.

As for reupholster work, once you find a competent upholsterer make sure he leans out the seats since the current profile is a bit too high.

Good luck with your project.

Best Wishes,

George E. Harrison III
www.americanainteriors.com

Antique Furniture

George E. Harrison III