Antique Furniture/Buffet/Sideboard age

Antique Chair
Antique Chair  

I inherited this from my grandparents who grew up in Tuscumbia, AL. I now live in Minnesota and don't want the age of this to slip away and am having trouble finding a reference to the wooden wheat decoration to age it properly. Wondering if you can identify what era this was made as well as the first image of a chair with very ornate wood work. I would like to have to chair redone and want to make sure I find an expert on this era. My son pulled out a few nails that looked hand made and believe there are still a few wooden ones holding the seat to the back rest and it has iron castors on the front.

Hi Mary-Katie,

While there was countless furniture manufactures, particularly in the Grand Rapids, Michigan
area, which is where I feel your were made, it is exceedingly difficult to say which company in particular made your pieces. I date them to the early 1900's to the 1920's. They are pieces that were built to a lower price point with a minimal amount of hand work with all carving work being done on a duplicator machine.

As for reupholster work, once you find a competent upholsterer make sure he leans out the seats since the current profile is a bit too high.

Good luck with your project.

Best Wishes,

George E. Harrison III

Antique Furniture

George E. Harrison III

I am able to answer most questions pertaining to the authenticity,collectability and values of high-end reproduction furniture. As an example, quality furniture produced by leading manufacturers such as Baker, Kittinger, Kindel, Saybolt-Cleland furniture companies. I must have at least one photo for advice. PLEASE READ: No questions will be answered without a photo. View our website at for a sampling of our expertise.

For the past 40 years I have been dealing in the appraisal, buying and selling of fine, pre-owned antique and reproduction furniture. Over the years we have served leading museums, governmental institutions, Fortune 500 companies as well as private collectors. View our website at for a sampling of our expertise. Also, be sure to read our testimonial page.

Maine Antiques Digest

Philadelphia College of Art Study for cabinetmaking.

My honors are my ability to satisfy the highest caliber of my client base, both nationally and internationally. Refer to:

You may refer to my website, for comments posted by our prestigious client base.