Antique Furniture/Grand Rapids Chair Company Secretary Desk

Question
Desk
Desk  

sticker
sticker  
Hello, my wife and I recently bought an old farm house built in 1928. We find a seemingly old desk (see photo). It has three stickers on it. A shipping ticket from Michigan to Portland, OR were we live. A Grand Rapids Chair Company, and Claremont Mah 698.  Hoping to find date of manufacture and value. Any help would be great! So far, we have only been able date the "Grand Rapids Chair Company" sticker to between 1928 and 1947.

Thank you in advance.

Randy

Answer

Hi Randy,

I feel your desk was made in the 1930's.  There are not much in the way of archives for
the manufacturer so it is difficult to provide you with any detailed information.

Middle of the road furniture is hard to document, unlike the finer furniture companies
that did a better job in documenting their furniture. When furniture is built to a price
and not to a standard, nobody really cared back then.

I place a value for insurance purposes at $500.  To sell outright, perhaps half that
amount.

Best Wishes,

George E. Harrison III
www.americanainteriors.com  

Antique Furniture

George E. Harrison III