Antique Furniture/Kittinger Table

Question
Kittinger Table
Kittinger Table  

Kittinger Table Marking
Kittinger Table Markin  
QUESTION: I have a 40", 4 leg pedestal, mahagony (?) table with the identifying marks of 'Charterhouse by Kittinger'.  I have searched the internet til my fingers are blue.  I've found many interesting articles on Kittinger Antiques, looked at a lot of Kittinger furniture, however, I have not been able to find any information about this table.  I picked it up at auction about 20+ yrs. ago.  Can you direct me?

I have 5 photos, I will attach one of the table. and will try to add one of the markings on the underside of the table, which has engraved   'Charterhouse by Kittinger' and next to it appears some sort of #?# paper stamp which reads Style No. CV 105   Ser. 25  Kittinger * Buffalo .

Thank you for your assistance.  Allie

Answer
Hi Allie,

Basically what you have is an office conference table. Usually when you see the script
with the word "Charterhouse" by Kittinger, this was what is referred to in the trade as
quick ship product.

Charterhouse was a lower end line of furniture that the Kittinger Company developed in the 1960's to meet the demand for office furniture and at a lower price-point than pieces that
they once made for the Colonial Williamsburg Foundation.

Most of these pieces used veneers as opposed to large solid boards and the finishing was
at a minimum and not as complicated as their renowned 27 step finishes. I recall being
at the factory in Buffalo many years ago and I was told that they could actually build the furniture faster than they could finish it!

I value this particular table in the range of $275. to $325.

Good luck with it.

George E. Harrison III  (Kittinger expert)
www.americanainteriors.com

Antique Furniture

George E. Harrison III