Antique Furniture/Mahogany Empire/Late Classical Library Bookcase

Question
Mahogany Bookcase
Mahogany Bookcase  

Mahogany Bookcase 2
Mahogany Bookcase 2  
Hello Mr. Klein,
I have restored this beautiful Empire period bookcase that I had acquired recently. When I bought it, it was painted black and needed some very minor repairs such as gluing and clamping the legs and repairing the wooden back. Underneath the paint was this gorgeous mahogany wood. There was no  veneer, it appears to be all solid. The glass appears to be original, it is somewhat wavy and has very small bubbles in it. There were no marks or labels on the back. There were numbers stamped into the wood underneath the hinges and on the bottoms of the glass doors. #18 or #81 if I remember correctly.  My questions to you would be what kind of mahogany is that on the sides of it and also I would love to know it's approximate age and value if you are able to provide that. Thank you so much.

Answer
nice piece!!  and a great job!!

sides are ribbon stripe mahogany as are other areas.

without looking closer i cannot be exact on the date, but 1890-1910 is most likely.   Could be 1880 or as late as 1915.

This would have a retail price in a shop of 1800-2400 if everything is as it should be, original glass, hinges, shelves, back etc.

i assume it is roughly 5 feet by 5.5 feet.

Antique Furniture

robert klein