Antique Furniture/Office chair BL Marbel chair august 1923

Under chair
Under chair  

I am trying it repair an antique chair in which the mechanism for tilting (?) is broken.  The chair is in excellent shape other wise.  Do you have a picture of the under carriage as to what is looks like or ideas, a site that would assist me with the repair?   Chair dated August 1923' from the BL Marbel CO in Ohio.  It has been in the family since new. We are fixing this for a friend, and do not think we have all the parts.

I have never found a place to find the items needed.  There are double coil springs within two retainers--never have located a source for the springs.  I am using a chair similar with missing springs.  Another thing is that the different companies often had minor differences in the mechanisms every few years.

the only thing you can do is cannibalize another chair and make it work on yours.  or try these--->>

usually two adjustments, the handle that tightens the springs to make it tilt with more resistance and the other is a square nut that backs out or in to adjust the amount of tilt.  

Antique Furniture

robert klein

Regarding American antique, vintage, and collectible furniture I can help with wood identification, styles, age, periods, historical coatings, materials, techniques, repair, restoration, refinishing. Please read instructions for posting.

I have been in the antiques furniture and restoration business and in the sales of American antique furniture for 40+ years and have continued my education in the trade attending workshops and seminars through several organizations.

Professional Refinishers Groop, Int., AIC, Antiques Dealers Association

BA Florida State University BA University of West Florida 1971

They deserve privacy, sorry.