You are here:

Antique Furniture/Antique bed frame


Bed frame whole
Bed frame whole  


I have what I believe to be an antique twin bed frame. It is slightly too small in width and length for our normal mattress so we put slats above the frame to hold them. I would very much like to know the type of wood, it looks like walnut or mahogany to me, as well as the style and any worth estimate you may have. It has lots of carving and carved rings around all the spindles. I will add pictures. Thank you very much for your time!

it is called a spool bed.  the turnings are called spool turnings and also called bobbin turnings--spool is better term. made around 1875.

need a better picture to identify the wood species.

use the followup function to post another picture.


Antique Furniture

All Answers

Answers by Expert:

Ask Experts


robert klein


Regarding American antique, vintage, and collectible furniture I can help with wood identification, styles, age, periods, historical coatings, materials, techniques, repair, restoration, refinishing. Please read instructions for posting.


I have been in the antiques furniture and restoration business and in the sales of American antique furniture for 40+ years and have continued my education in the trade attending workshops and seminars through several organizations.

Professional Refinishers Groop, Int., AIC, Antiques Dealers Association

BA Florida State University BA University of West Florida 1971

Past/Present Clients
They deserve privacy, sorry.

©2017 All rights reserved.