Antique Furniture/Dresser Identification

Question
Dresser
Dresser  

DresserMirror
DresserMirror  
Hi

I have had this dresser for many years and never known anything about its age, style, history etc. I would like to replace the drawer pulls (it doesn't have any), but this is difficult to do without knowing something about the dresser.  The drawers do have the indentations of the original pulls, indicating the shape and that it required 4 holes each.  Can you please help me with the age and style of this dresser?  If you can also give me some idea where I might purchase replacement pulls that would be greatly appreciated.  I have additional pictures if needed

Thank you.
Mary Ann

Answer
I believe this to be from Belgium or England.  Wood looks like sweet gum.  Manufactured around 1910-20s.

I really dont understand what you mean about its 'history' that is something that cannot be answered but the style is called cottage furniture.  The mirror posts have an art deco look.

As to the pulls.  They would have been stamped brass backplates with either a ring pul or bail pull.  Most likely a bail pull.  Since you have the outline that is certainly helpful.

Drawer hardware will consist of the backplate and the bail or handle.  some will screw onto the front of the drawer (you will know because there will be no holes that go all the way throught the drawer front.  The other will have holes that go through the drawer front, and will sue eyelets that hold the bail or handle and then go through the drawer and have a washer and/or nut holding the eyelet and backplate and handle in place.

start looking here for examples of what stamped backplates look like.

http://robinsonsantiques.com/drawer-pulls/drawer-pulls.htm#stamped

http://www.belowstairs.co.uk/acatalog/Antique%20Pair%20of%20Brass%20Drawer%20Han

accept that this will take some time and get frustrating but you will succeed.  

Antique Furniture

robert klein