Antique Furniture/Antique piece

QUESTION: I have an antique piece that I would like to restore but I am not sure how to go about it.  The piece is very dry and I am not sure what kind of wood it is made from.  I am hoping you can help to identify the wood and tell me how to properly restore the piece.  It has a tag o the back that says:
496  H J Hartberger & Sons Roanoke from Statesville Furniture Company, Statesville, NC.  H J Hartberger was a furniture store in Roanoke, Va around 1915

The piece has dovetailed joints and roller feet. The coating on the mirror (which appears to be original) has a couple places where the silvering is missing

ANSWER: This is an oak washstand.

I need to know what experience and skills you have in the restoration and refinishing area.

QUESTION: We are novices and may well have to find someone to restore it if it is worth  it.

ANSWER: It is a very nice oak washstand with quarter sawn oak veneer--tiger oak.

dont oil it!!!!

either wax it with a good furniture paste wax-no auto polish.  or have it stripped and refinished.

should cost about 600 to have it done depending on where you are.

so--where are you.

QUESTION: Thank you for the information.  We live in Salem, Va.

I was looking at the pictures this morning and I would say that restored and for sale in a high end store the washstand would have a retail price over 1000.  They do not sell quickly but even so keep in mind that insurance replacement values are 2 and three times retail.  just teh nature of our insurance industry.  example, if you pay to have a windshield replaced it costs 200, if the insurance pays it cost them or more accurately they pay 450.  

Dick Patch is in Roanoke, VA.  I know Dick and his work, you wont go wrong here.
specify that you want the piece stripped and refinished in a medium to dark oak finish in satin lacquer.  I dont know his pricing structure.  I will guess the will cost about 6-650 a little less that the retail in store price to buy it already done.  The quality of restoration will be much better than buying it already restored.

contact info:
5205D Starkey Rd.
Roanoke, VA 24018
Located at the intersection of Starkey Road and
Terminal Road in the Hartwell Design Building.

Phone: 540.769.6070
Fax: 540.769.6071
Email us at We try to
answer all emails within 24 hours.

Antique Furniture

robert klein

Regarding American antique, vintage, and collectible furniture I can help with wood identification, styles, age, periods, historical coatings, materials, techniques, repair, restoration, refinishing. Please read instructions for posting.

I have been in the antiques furniture and restoration business and in the sales of American antique furniture for 40+ years and have continued my education in the trade attending workshops and seminars through several organizations.

Professional Refinishers Groop, Int., AIC, Antiques Dealers Association

BA Florida State University BA University of West Florida 1971

They deserve privacy, sorry.