Antique Furniture/Murpy desk chair

desk chair front
desk chair front  
desk chair #1
desk chair #1  
QUESTION: I have a vintage swivel desk chair and would like to know it's value & approximate age. It has a spring type adjustable back & metal plate on seat that says Murphy, Owensboro, KY.  I have read that this company went out of business in 1954. Also, what type of wood might it be.
Thanks you for any information you can provide.

ANSWER: use the followup function and post a clear infocus picture showing the wood grain in the seat and back

chair seat #3
chair seat #3  

chair back #2
chair back #2  
QUESTION: Pre request see attached pictures of wood grain on chair seat & back.

mix of sweet gum ,maple and maybe cherry.  cant see grain detail but mixed woods is common.

what else did you want to know? There is little info on the company but the chair looks to be from 1930s.  

nice looking chair.  please check the metal parts for a patent number or date.  

Antique Furniture

robert klein

Regarding American antique, vintage, and collectible furniture I can help with wood identification, styles, age, periods, historical coatings, materials, techniques, repair, restoration, refinishing. Please read instructions for posting.

I have been in the antiques furniture and restoration business and in the sales of American antique furniture for 40+ years and have continued my education in the trade attending workshops and seminars through several organizations.

Professional Refinishers Groop, Int., AIC, Antiques Dealers Association

BA Florida State University BA University of West Florida 1971

They deserve privacy, sorry.