Antique Furniture/S. Bent & Bros Colonial Rocking Chair 833

Front of Chair
Front of Chair  

Design on Chair back
Design on Chair back  
I got this rocking chair from my grandpa.  I saw an appraisal of the exact same model chair that you did in January of 2013.  I saw that you appraised it a $250 tops.  I am wondering what kind of wood it is made of.

items i have personally seen from Bent were birch

S. Bent & Brothers, Inc.

Gardnerís fourth oldest manufacturing company and an offshoot of Heywood-Wakefield Company.
Founded: 1867 by Samuel, Charles O. and Roderic L. Bent
Location: Mill Street in South Gardner
Products: First made five-spindle factory chairs for Heywood-Wakefield, and later made Colonial chairs and rockers. About 1870 they began making childrenís chairs, rockers and stools. From the 1920s-1950s they made breakfast sets and institutional furniture. One specialty, by the 1960s, was the college and university chair. Bent Brothers, along with Nichols and Stone, were national leaders in this area.
Company closed: 2001  

Antique Furniture

robert klein

Regarding American antique, vintage, and collectible furniture I can help with wood identification, styles, age, periods, historical coatings, materials, techniques, repair, restoration, refinishing. Please read instructions for posting.

I have been in the antiques furniture and restoration business and in the sales of American antique furniture for 40+ years and have continued my education in the trade attending workshops and seminars through several organizations.

Professional Refinishers Groop, Int., AIC, Antiques Dealers Association

BA Florida State University BA University of West Florida 1971

They deserve privacy, sorry.