Antique Furniture/Antique wash stand/ commode

wash stand/ commode
wash stand/ commode  
I bought this wash stand/ commode from an auction. I thought it was really neat but am trying to figure out just how old it is and if it could have any value. Would you have any idea?

Dear Eileen,

As a person who has participated in the auction process for the past 40 years I can tell you
that what may appear to be of value is not always the case.

My recommendation to anyone that is going to an auction with the intention to purchase for resale, you really need to be aware of not only values but more importantly what the interest level is in the marketplace.

Understanding the marketplace is very important if you are trying to make a profit.

My evaluation of the washstand is that it is very crude and will not appeal to many buyers.
I place a value of $25. to $50. on the piece.

Good luck with it.

George E. Harrison III  

Antique Furniture

George E. Harrison III

I am able to answer most questions pertaining to the authenticity,collectability and values of high-end reproduction furniture. As an example, quality furniture produced by leading manufacturers such as Baker, Kittinger, Kindel, Saybolt-Cleland furniture companies. I must have at least one photo for advice. PLEASE READ: No questions will be answered without a photo. View our website at for a sampling of our expertise.

For the past 40 years I have been dealing in the appraisal, buying and selling of fine, pre-owned antique and reproduction furniture. Over the years we have served leading museums, governmental institutions, Fortune 500 companies as well as private collectors. View our website at for a sampling of our expertise. Also, be sure to read our testimonial page.

Maine Antiques Digest

Philadelphia College of Art Study for cabinetmaking.

My honors are my ability to satisfy the highest caliber of my client base, both nationally and internationally. Refer to:

You may refer to my website, for comments posted by our prestigious client base.