Antique Furniture/2 antique settees

Antique settee
Antique settee  

Antique settee 2
Antique settee 2  
Hello there! I have recently started delving into the antique world and repairing/reupholstering furniture. I scored 2 antique settees at an estate sale, and am curious as to the age/value of them, and how much of the original I can replace without devaluing the item. The first i have already stripped due to it's open condition, and saved all the iron buttons. It was filled with horse hair, and hay, and had coil springs. The second is faded to green, but looking in the inside, the original color was blue. I have more pictures of the inside and materials, but it will only allow 2 photos.
Thanks in advance!

wood in the green one is walnut, cant see the wood in the other, could be mahogany, walnut or rosewood.

as shown the first one is worth about 150-175 as shown.  after restoration, proper restoration including complete regluing, refinishing an reupholstery it would sell at 750.

green one if tight and good would sell as is at 650

both were made around 1865.

as to replacing original materials, the dark one requires it and the green one is not original. it has been refinished and recovered.

it isnt so much what you do to them but how you do it.  

Antique Furniture

robert klein

Regarding American antique, vintage, and collectible furniture I can help with wood identification, styles, age, periods, historical coatings, materials, techniques, repair, restoration, refinishing. Please read instructions for posting.

I have been in the antiques furniture and restoration business and in the sales of American antique furniture for 40+ years and have continued my education in the trade attending workshops and seminars through several organizations.

Professional Refinishers Groop, Int., AIC, Antiques Dealers Association

BA Florida State University BA University of West Florida 1971

They deserve privacy, sorry.