Antique Furniture/antique mahogany sideboard with fancy inlay

Mahogany sideboard front
Mahogany sideboard fro  

Flame mahogany sideboard close up
Flame mahogany sideboa  
Hello Robert,
we have a lovely bow front mahogany sideboard with delicate inlay. It is 70" long, 41" high, 19" wide on each end and 23" wide in the center. It seems to be made of mahogany all around, including the back, except the top and bottom parts that hold the two drawers are made of oak. Purchased in Canada although we suspect its origin may be U.S.A.
Between the legs under the cabinet doors dowels instead of screws were used to hold the frame together.
The number 6000 is stamped into the handle of each drawer pull.
I am wondering if you can help me with the following questions:
Approximately when do you think this piece was made?
Where was it made ?
Would the style be Hepplewhite or Sheraton ? How can you tell one from the other ?
I wonder if you can tell from the pictures if the light colored inlay is satin wood or tulip wood? And the dark colored inlay ebony or another wood?
Would it be appropriate to refer to the mahogany on the front as flame mahogany or crotch mahogany? Again, how do you tell the difference between the two ?
In your estimate, what would be a fair market value for this sideboard?
Please let me know if you need any other pictures.
Looking forward to your valued information

for age i will need to see a picture of the outside on one drawer where the side meets the front as well as a picture of the outside of the bottom of the drawer taken from the rear so i can see the back and bottom of the drawer in one shot.

a close picture of the inlay

use the followup function so the posts will be as one.

probably no ebony inlay.  darker inlay is usually dyed or scorched in a hot sand bath to darken.

crotch and flame grain mahogany are the same.

generally when you see a square tapered leg it is referred to as hepplewhite but remember that those renown folks back then all worked from the same design books and all incorporated nuances from everywhere.  if a piece has more of a hepplewhite or sheraton look that it is usually referred to by the term which it most resembles.  sheraton legs were more turned and reeded although again, things were mixes so there are really no hard and concrete rules.  mostly opinions based on overall characteristics.

all that being said, this is most definitely a hepplewhite style sideboard.  

Antique Furniture

robert klein

Regarding American antique, vintage, and collectible furniture I can help with wood identification, styles, age, periods, historical coatings, materials, techniques, repair, restoration, refinishing. Please read instructions for posting.

I have been in the antiques furniture and restoration business and in the sales of American antique furniture for 40+ years and have continued my education in the trade attending workshops and seminars through several organizations.

Professional Refinishers Groop, Int., AIC, Antiques Dealers Association

BA Florida State University BA University of West Florida 1971

They deserve privacy, sorry.