Antique Furniture/Cherry furniture

china hutch
china hutch  
Can you help us determine the value of our family's solid cherry furniture marked Empire Furniture, Johnson City, TN? We think my husband's parents purchased the furniture in the early 1950s. My mother-in-law told us it is excellent solid cherry and that the furniture manufacturer went out of business because they could not afford to keep making the quality. My father-in-law was a career Navy officer so the furniture has beautifully weathered more than 30 moves. There is a china hutch, sideboard with shelves, kitchen table, chairs, coffee table, matching end tables. We have not been able to find any information on this furniture maker. Any information about the maker and the possible current value would be appreciated. I have additional photos if that is helpful. We will appreciate your comments.

Hello Kathy,

Since I am not able to see all of the pieces you have question about I will give you
a range for value. As far as a maker is concerned, I can not help you since there
were so many furniture companies producing this style and quality level back in
the day.

I can tell you that there is so much of this furniture coming to the marketplace,
due to the amount of post WWII buyers, it has devalued this furniture.  Since 2008
values have been on the steady decline.

I will  give you prices individually since you did not mention the number of chairs
or send photos of the additional pieces.

Drop leaf kitchen table.  $75. - $100.

China Cabinet.  $100. - $150.

Chairs. $20. - $25. each

Sideboard. $75. - $100.

Coffee Table. $25. - $35.

End Tables. $20. - $25.

Good  luck with your sale.

George E. Harrison III  

Antique Furniture

George E. Harrison III

I am able to answer most questions pertaining to the authenticity,collectability and values of high-end reproduction furniture. As an example, quality furniture produced by leading manufacturers such as Baker, Kittinger, Kindel, Saybolt-Cleland furniture companies. I must have at least one photo for advice. PLEASE READ: No questions will be answered without a photo. View our website at for a sampling of our expertise.

For the past 40 years I have been dealing in the appraisal, buying and selling of fine, pre-owned antique and reproduction furniture. Over the years we have served leading museums, governmental institutions, Fortune 500 companies as well as private collectors. View our website at for a sampling of our expertise. Also, be sure to read our testimonial page.

Maine Antiques Digest

Philadelphia College of Art Study for cabinetmaking.

My honors are my ability to satisfy the highest caliber of my client base, both nationally and internationally. Refer to:

You may refer to my website, for comments posted by our prestigious client base.