Antique Furniture/Cherry furniture

Question
Table
Table  

china hutch
china hutch  
Can you help us determine the value of our family's solid cherry furniture marked Empire Furniture, Johnson City, TN? We think my husband's parents purchased the furniture in the early 1950s. My mother-in-law told us it is excellent solid cherry and that the furniture manufacturer went out of business because they could not afford to keep making the quality. My father-in-law was a career Navy officer so the furniture has beautifully weathered more than 30 moves. There is a china hutch, sideboard with shelves, kitchen table, chairs, coffee table, matching end tables. We have not been able to find any information on this furniture maker. Any information about the maker and the possible current value would be appreciated. I have additional photos if that is helpful. We will appreciate your comments.

Answer
Hello Kathy,

Since I am not able to see all of the pieces you have question about I will give you
a range for value. As far as a maker is concerned, I can not help you since there
were so many furniture companies producing this style and quality level back in
the day.

I can tell you that there is so much of this furniture coming to the marketplace,
due to the amount of post WWII buyers, it has devalued this furniture.  Since 2008
values have been on the steady decline.

I will  give you prices individually since you did not mention the number of chairs
or send photos of the additional pieces.

Drop leaf kitchen table.  $75. - $100.

China Cabinet.  $100. - $150.

Chairs. $20. - $25. each

Sideboard. $75. - $100.

Coffee Table. $25. - $35.

End Tables. $20. - $25.

Good  luck with your sale.

George E. Harrison III
www.ameerficanainteriors.com/  

Antique Furniture

George E. Harrison III