Antique Furniture/Writing Desk

Question
Writing Desk Full Image
Writing Desk Full Imag  

Writing Desk, Open
Writing Desk, Open  
This is a small writing desk, measuring only about 11 inches wide with the door closed. It appears that this desk needs to be attached to the wall for stability. Can you give any information about the wood, style, age, period, and anything else.  The open door reveals numerous cubby holes. I think it is lovely, very feminine. Would it have value in a shop, as is or are repairs needed? There are a couple of holes in the back. The upper piece of wood is not firmly affixed. The choices for repairman are my husband, who has amateur ability, or a professional restorer.

Answer
appears to be one or two small drawers missing from the interior in the bottom center of the pigeon holes.  cant be sure but it looks like some wear showing something slid in and out there.

the top piece should be not problem to secure properly.

are you sure it is 11 inches wide, looks like at least double that in width.

it is a ladies drop front desk probably in birch stained to a mahogany color from the factory.  Manufactured around 1900.  I would just wax this with toluene free Briwax in the antique mahogany color.

the way the legs are made this would be a bit wiggly but there is nothing you can do about that.

these usually sell in a shop as shown at 250$-350$

Antique Furniture

robert klein