Antique Furniture/EASTLAKE DRESSER

Front view
Front view  

Hello Robert!
I scored this beautiful chest for only $35! I did some research and gather it to be from around 1871-1900? I came to this conclusion from the gorgeous knapp joints. There is absolutely no veneer on this piece! Hardware is of course not original and I do not have the mirror. Do you happen to know the value, what wood it's made from, and a closer more accurate age of the piece? I refurbish furniture, and there aren't too many pieces I find that I won't paint, but I can't bring myself to paint this beauty. It does need some work though. Would it decrease its value if I refinished it? Thank you so much for your time. You are much appreciated!! I look forward to hearing from you.

1880 is when the machine came into more widespread usage for the joints.  patent date was earlier.

wood i cant see the grain well but thee are generally tulip poplar woods, sometimes birch or sweet gum.  

since it has already been worked on you should go ahead and strip and refinish as you wish.  it will enhance the value.

a suggestion; dont use the semi paste stripper, they are too hard to use and create more work.  use one with a water consistency containing methylene chloride.  do in well ventilated area.  

Antique Furniture

robert klein

Regarding American antique, vintage, and collectible furniture I can help with wood identification, styles, age, periods, historical coatings, materials, techniques, repair, restoration, refinishing. Please read instructions for posting.

I have been in the antiques furniture and restoration business and in the sales of American antique furniture for 40+ years and have continued my education in the trade attending workshops and seminars through several organizations.

Professional Refinishers Groop, Int., AIC, Antiques Dealers Association

BA Florida State University BA University of West Florida 1971

They deserve privacy, sorry.