Antique Furniture/Luce Furniture Buffet

Luce Furniture Buffet
Luce Furniture Buffet  

Luce Buffet Top
Luce Buffet Top  
I purchased this Luce Furniture Company Buffet recently and would like to know if I can
do anything myself to help the exterior, mainly remove the water marks on the top.
It appears to have been refinished previously but was poorly done and I am willing to pay to have it professionally restored if it
wouldn't exceed it's value.  The attached manufacturer label indicates its from the 1920's.  After some research, I found these buffets
were walnut or mahogany, can you tell me which mine is?  Can you also provide an approximate value?

Thank you for your time.

trademark LUCE in the oval was used from 1901 through the 20s.  This has the style of the 19teens and is a nicely styled sideboard.

since a lot of the finish is worn off the top and is damaged i suggest this if you dont want to pay to have it redone.

get lacquer thinner and cotton rag.  use the rag and lacquer thinner to clean the top.  if it is not the dreeaaaded polyurethane that should take the coating off down to the wood.  it should take about two hours.  when the top is wet that is how it will look with an unstained clear coat of lacquer or shellac on it.  once cleaned then sand gently and lightly with 180 grit paper.  wipe with lacque thinner to see if that is what you want and if the marks have dispersed  if so then stain and coat or just coat.

Antique Furniture

robert klein

Regarding American antique, vintage, and collectible furniture I can help with wood identification, styles, age, periods, historical coatings, materials, techniques, repair, restoration, refinishing. Please read instructions for posting.

I have been in the antiques furniture and restoration business and in the sales of American antique furniture for 40+ years and have continued my education in the trade attending workshops and seminars through several organizations.

Professional Refinishers Groop, Int., AIC, Antiques Dealers Association

BA Florida State University BA University of West Florida 1971

They deserve privacy, sorry.