Antique Furniture/kittinger martha washington federal style sewing cabinet

sewing cabinet 1
sewing cabinet 1  

kittinger badge
kittinger badge  
hi, i came across this piece recently. after noticing the kittinger badge inside one of the drawers i did some research and found it was a martha washington federal style sewing cabinet. it seems pretty old but it is in extremely good condition. i was wanting to know if it was a particularly valuable kittinger piece and whether or not it is worth more as is or restored?

Hi Mike,

If the Kittinger company make your sewing cabinet it would be from the 1920's.
The reason I say "if" is because the secondary construction does not appear to
be from Kittinger.  Also the label appears to be a reproduction and not from
the period. You should take a look at the nail on the left and see that it
was nailed crooked which is something you would never see coming from Kittinger.

It has been my experience over the years that pieces like this turn up at auction.
It is not a piece that is worth putting the time and effort into refinishing.

Good Luck,

George E. Harrison III

Antique Furniture

George E. Harrison III

I am able to answer most questions pertaining to the authenticity,collectability and values of high-end reproduction furniture. As an example, quality furniture produced by leading manufacturers such as Baker, Kittinger, Kindel, Saybolt-Cleland furniture companies. I must have at least one photo for advice. PLEASE READ: No questions will be answered without a photo. View our website at for a sampling of our expertise.

For the past 40 years I have been dealing in the appraisal, buying and selling of fine, pre-owned antique and reproduction furniture. Over the years we have served leading museums, governmental institutions, Fortune 500 companies as well as private collectors. View our website at for a sampling of our expertise. Also, be sure to read our testimonial page.

Maine Antiques Digest

Philadelphia College of Art Study for cabinetmaking.

My honors are my ability to satisfy the highest caliber of my client base, both nationally and internationally. Refer to:

You may refer to my website, for comments posted by our prestigious client base.