Antique Furniture/Office Desk,smaller the usual

Small office desk
Small office desk  

Small office desk
Small office desk  
 I'm a little perplexed about this desk I purchased a few years a go for fifty dollars,.What drew me to it was it's size,it's actually very small,.The measurements:30" high,42" wide and 21" deep,.I am only 5'9 and I can barely get my knees under it and no normal chair will fit under it,..was it made specifically for a small women?,.The only mark I could find was located under the top when you pull the middle drawer out and it is in black ink. "P.V. CO",.I'm quessing it was from the 1940's.
It has a glass top that is custom fitted,and is in perfect shape besides the two gouges on the front edge above the middle drawer.
 I was hoping that you can date it for me and maybe give me some feedback on why it is so small compared to other desks?
Is this desk something unique or custom made?
  Thank you so much for your time !!

1940s, correct.

this could have been sold as a student desk.  you did not say how wide the knee hole was.  most chairs are 17 wide.
you might check the back to see if there might have been a mirror attached at one time.  this would indicate it was sold as a vanity, which would have been more diminutive.

after you check please get back to me using the followup function.

retail as shown in a store about 400$

Antique Furniture

robert klein

Regarding American antique, vintage, and collectible furniture I can help with wood identification, styles, age, periods, historical coatings, materials, techniques, repair, restoration, refinishing. Please read instructions for posting.

I have been in the antiques furniture and restoration business and in the sales of American antique furniture for 40+ years and have continued my education in the trade attending workshops and seminars through several organizations.

Professional Refinishers Groop, Int., AIC, Antiques Dealers Association

BA Florida State University BA University of West Florida 1971

They deserve privacy, sorry.