Antique Furniture/Antique dresser

Antique dresser
Antique dresser  
QUESTION: Hey Robert!
Michelline here again with another awesome find (I hope)!!
I got this yesterday on the side of the road so I know nothing about it. There is a stamp in 1 of the drawers, it's quite faded but I believe it says,
"J. Morrisette
Fine Period Furniture"
Then it has an odd Baltimore, MD address that's hard to read.  The construction consists of dove tail joints (I think that's what it's called!) Nothing seems to be broken and its in damn good condition! Any idea on age and or value.  Also what's your best guess on what type of wood?
Thanks in advance!

ANSWER: please use the followup function and show picture of labels and back

Back of dresser
Back of dresser  

Stamp on drawer
Stamp on drawer  
QUESTION: Here are the requested pics! Thanks

I find no information on the company.  We will have to contact the Baltimore historical society for that info.  I checked the street address on google maps and it is a storefront but the street and store has been 'updated' and is something else.

the dovetails although looking like machine cut due to the shape are not.  They are hand cut but done like some were done after the machine dovetails were being made.  My thought on this has always been that then as today, the new machinery would be used as time savers if it were affordable.  I think that at this time some companies made by hand, the dovetail shapes here, to look like the newer ones made by machine.  The way to tell is only be taking the drawer side off and looking carefully at the pocket in the drawer front that receives the dovetail pin.  If the pin fits on all surfaces and there is no open circular pocket then it is hand done.  Remember, machines can only go round and round and up and down so it would be like doing the pocket with a router bit.

That being said, and if i am right then the piece would have been made around 1900.  it is a spectacular item and I would like you to look inside the drawer fronts to make sure that there are not three holes for the hardware.  if only two then it is most likely the hardware is original.  also if you take one off you should see an outline of the back plate where the wood is a shade different in color.

The wood species I would have to see very close to be positive and get scientific but it is not uncommon to see.  It has the look of curly ash. the wavy grain veneer was hand picked and cut from specific boards.

Antique Furniture

robert klein

Regarding American antique, vintage, and collectible furniture I can help with wood identification, styles, age, periods, historical coatings, materials, techniques, repair, restoration, refinishing. Please read instructions for posting.

I have been in the antiques furniture and restoration business and in the sales of American antique furniture for 40+ years and have continued my education in the trade attending workshops and seminars through several organizations.

Professional Refinishers Groop, Int., AIC, Antiques Dealers Association

BA Florida State University BA University of West Florida 1971

They deserve privacy, sorry.