Antique Furniture/Antique Hutch

Question
Back of hutch
Back of hutch  

Front of hutch
Front of hutch  
Hi there, I have a hutch that has been in my grandmothers home forever, and I don't know where it came from. I'm wondering about the stamp on the back that reads "no.3 ANT". Do you have any idea what that means? Thank you!

Answer
cylindar roll desk
cylindar roll desk  
this is the upper section or bookcase section of a desk.  like a cylinder desk.
do you have the rest of it.

usually when we see 'ant' on something it means that it is a reproduction but this is not, it is built like it would have been to have been made in or around 1880.  most likely it means that the catalog number or style number was #3 and the finish was antique which means a darker color on this.

The unstained wood is tulip poplar or yellow poplar, the names are interchangeable but probably shouldn't be.

I cannot see the wood grain very well in the fronts to tell the species.

Antique Furniture

robert klein