Antique Furniture/Grosfeld House nightstands/end tables

Drawer fronts
Drawer fronts  

I recently picked up this pair of nightstands/end tables and am trying to learn about them and Grosfeld House (label on the inside of one drawer; missing in the other drawer). To date, I have learned Grosfeld House was started by Albert Grosfeld who had showrooms in N.Y., Chicago and L.A. I am aware that at least initially he sold strictly to the trade, but in later years his furnishings could be purchased at B. Altman's. I also know Grosfeld was more specifically known for incorporating lucite in their furnishings. That's about it. The internet has failed me on this one. Besides coming across a few desks that have leather covered drawers, I can't find anything similar.

Here is as much as I can tell you about the pieces. The finish is sort of a whitewashed or bleached wood that is tannish or slightly greenish in color. The drawers are covered in I think, leather that has been embossed with a gold border. I think the pulls are brass. Finally, the feet are engraved with a kind of greek key.

I like to learn as much as I can about the history of the pieces I collect. I don't want to alter a piece with historical value or something that might be of value to someone else. I suppose in this instance my specific question would be, can I paint these without feeling guilty about destroying history?

Thank you for your time,

I dont usually answer questions about objects that are out of my area of expertise but you need to know that these pieces, in the original finish, be it paint or clear bring surprising dollars.  I looked through some past auctions online an learned enough to know that you should wax these and leave them as is.

Antique Furniture

robert klein

Regarding American antique, vintage, and collectible furniture I can help with wood identification, styles, age, periods, historical coatings, materials, techniques, repair, restoration, refinishing. Please read instructions for posting.

I have been in the antiques furniture and restoration business and in the sales of American antique furniture for 40+ years and have continued my education in the trade attending workshops and seminars through several organizations.

Professional Refinishers Groop, Int., AIC, Antiques Dealers Association

BA Florida State University BA University of West Florida 1971

They deserve privacy, sorry.