Antique Furniture/Imperial Furniture Humidor

I recently purchased this humidor at a thrift store, intending to paint it to go in my entry. We noticed that it had a label and a number on the bottom, Imperial Grand Rapids 584. The door locks and inside there is a separate copper box with its own latch. I have been unable to find anything online about the company or when it was made, and just want to be sure I don't paint over an important piece of furniture. Your help is greatly appreciated.

Hi Lee,

I can tell you that there is no archival information regarding your c1940 piece of furniture.
While I understand you wish to paint this piece I personally am not a fan of painted over
furniture therefore I personally would not paint the piece.
There is not great value currently width the Humidor and I would currently place a value
of $150. to $175. for it. Painting the piece would reduce its value to a person that
would be looking for originality down the road.

Best wishes,

George E. Harrison III  

Antique Furniture

George E. Harrison III

I am able to answer most questions pertaining to the authenticity,collectability and values of high-end reproduction furniture. As an example, quality furniture produced by leading manufacturers such as Baker, Kittinger, Kindel, Saybolt-Cleland furniture companies. I must have at least one photo for advice. PLEASE READ: No questions will be answered without a photo. View our website at for a sampling of our expertise.

For the past 40 years I have been dealing in the appraisal, buying and selling of fine, pre-owned antique and reproduction furniture. Over the years we have served leading museums, governmental institutions, Fortune 500 companies as well as private collectors. View our website at for a sampling of our expertise. Also, be sure to read our testimonial page.

Maine Antiques Digest

Philadelphia College of Art Study for cabinetmaking.

My honors are my ability to satisfy the highest caliber of my client base, both nationally and internationally. Refer to:

You may refer to my website, for comments posted by our prestigious client base.