Antique Furniture/Antique? Sideboard

close up
close up  
Main view
Main view  
QUESTION: Hi, I am so glad to have found your website! I have a sideboard that has been in my family for over 50 years. It is in bad shape from being stored in an outdoor building for two years. I want to see about getting it refinished. I would like to know if you could possibly tell how old it may be and perhaps some clue as to its maker.  The only mark I could find is stamped on the back of it. It says "M-372, WAL.." I wonder if it is a common piece or more rare. What is the value as is and after it is refinished? If there is anything at all you can tell me I would greatly appreciate it.

Thank you!

ANSWER: this walnut veneered and sweet gum wood jacobean style sideboard was manufactured in the 1920s.  often called colonial revival style.  without a label there is no way anyone can tell you teh manufacturer our of the 5000 in operation at the time.

the number and letter are a style or inventory number.  the wal stands for walnut, which means walnut wood and/or walnut stain.

Properly restored it would have a retail price of 450-800 depending on the quality of the restoration.

QUESTION: Thank you so much for your information! Do you have any idea how much "proper restoration" might cost for my piece given the damage? Only one side piece of veneer is damaged but the back is coming off and it has a lot of scuffs and scratches. I don't know what material the backing is made of. Do you know what it is called? It's kind of a paneling type of material like veneer without the color. It's layered like veneer. I am asking so I might be able to fix some small things myself.

a competent restorer can repair the veneer, back can be replaced if necessary.  back is 3 ply early plywood, side will be as well.  side will have a show veneer on the exterior, probably walnut, back will be as you describe.  back replacement is usually done, if necessary, using thin birch plywood.

it is rather involved to repair veneer, you should practice on something else.  old veneer and laminates were glued using hot hide glue.  nothing ease should be used that that.

should cost about 850 to restore.

procedure would be as follows.

strip with chemical stripper
gently sand
recoat with clear coat, lacquer or shellac.

Antique Furniture

robert klein

Regarding American antique, vintage, and collectible furniture I can help with wood identification, styles, age, periods, historical coatings, materials, techniques, repair, restoration, refinishing. Please read instructions for posting.

I have been in the antiques furniture and restoration business and in the sales of American antique furniture for 40+ years and have continued my education in the trade attending workshops and seminars through several organizations.

Professional Refinishers Groop, Int., AIC, Antiques Dealers Association

BA Florida State University BA University of West Florida 1971

They deserve privacy, sorry.