Antique Furniture/drop leaf table

extension mechanism
extension mechanism  
I recently picked up a drop leaf table. It was horribly painted white and I am in the process of stripping it.  I believe it is mahogany veneer.  It has a stamp of the extension of Jefferson Table Slide, Jefferson woodworking company, louisville ky. The extension opens by pulling on a ring to.release, and has 2 large butterfly braces on each side. It looks like a Duncan Phyfe knock off, but I can't find the manufacturer stamp, only a 900 stamp on the underside.  It has metal covered, possibly brass feet. Any ideas of the manufacturer or year?  I also.picked up a set of 6 chairs (they don't match the table) from the Northern Furniture Company of Sheboygan WI.

Because so many of these were made it would be impossible to tell you the manufacturer.  The slides were from the company stated but the able would not be.  They were a family owned company that quit in the early 1990s.  I can find no information on the start up date, that information would have to be gleaned from county records but I do know they were in business in the 1920s.

This style, with the ring pull as you described was used in the 1940s and early 50s.
Usually the metal on the toes is plated brass.

Do you have any of the leaves?

Table would have a selling point of 450-500 after restoration, add 75 for each extra leaves.

duncan phyfe or sheraton style.

I do not envy the stripping job but i might suggest that you take the legs off to strip them.

Antique Furniture

robert klein

Regarding American antique, vintage, and collectible furniture I can help with wood identification, styles, age, periods, historical coatings, materials, techniques, repair, restoration, refinishing. Please read instructions for posting.

I have been in the antiques furniture and restoration business and in the sales of American antique furniture for 40+ years and have continued my education in the trade attending workshops and seminars through several organizations.

Professional Refinishers Groop, Int., AIC, Antiques Dealers Association

BA Florida State University BA University of West Florida 1971

They deserve privacy, sorry.