Antique Furniture/Is my sofa antique

My Bernhardt sofa
My Bernhardt sofa  
I bought this sofa from an old lady. it has a matching love seat. I wanted to find out if it is worth reupholstering this sofa. And also how old is this sofa? Is it antique? If I were to sell it how much should I expect?

Hi Shweta,

To answer your first question, I date the sofa to the 1960's, so therefore it is not
an antique.

Only if you decided to keep the sofa for your personal use would I spend the money
to reupholster it. The reason being, it's not a style that buyers gravitate towards.
Any knowledgeable person looking for a Louis 15th style sofa is going to want
a better form. I value the sofa at $200.-$275.

Good luck with it.

George E. Harrison III

Antique Furniture

George E. Harrison III

I am able to answer most questions pertaining to the authenticity,collectability and values of high-end reproduction furniture. As an example, quality furniture produced by leading manufacturers such as Baker, Kittinger, Kindel, Saybolt-Cleland furniture companies. I must have at least one photo for advice. PLEASE READ: No questions will be answered without a photo. View our website at for a sampling of our expertise.

For the past 40 years I have been dealing in the appraisal, buying and selling of fine, pre-owned antique and reproduction furniture. Over the years we have served leading museums, governmental institutions, Fortune 500 companies as well as private collectors. View our website at for a sampling of our expertise. Also, be sure to read our testimonial page.

Maine Antiques Digest

Philadelphia College of Art Study for cabinetmaking.

My honors are my ability to satisfy the highest caliber of my client base, both nationally and internationally. Refer to:

You may refer to my website, for comments posted by our prestigious client base.