Antique Furniture/John Widdicomb Table

Question
widdicomb table
widdicomb table  

widdicomb brass plate
widdicomb brass plate  
I bought this table about 10 years ago. The top has been ruined but I was cleaning it to paint the piece when I noticed the brass John Widdicomb plate attached to the bottom. Can you tell me the value as it is and if I paint the top? Thanks

Answer
in the condition shown the value is low.  refinish the top to the original color or paint, whichever you prefer but finished tops on painted bases was and still is a popular fashion.

value wont be different depending on the quality of the painting or finishing.  no one will ever know it it was painted from the factory or finished if done properly and professionally.

as is 75$

painted or finished 275-350   
thanks

Antique Furniture

robert klein