Antique Furniture/Antique hutch

Drawer pulls
Drawer pulls  
Hi I have an antique hutch from my great aunt that appears much older than I had originally thought. The hutch has mahogany wood, oval shaped carved draw pulls, hand carved dove tails it locks with a skeleton key. I was hoping for information on the date of production and the value of the piece. I am unsure of what my plans are but I spoke to an individual about cleaning it up and they told me not to touch it with pledge or other chemicals until I had an idea of its age and value. I would love if you could help me out with the age, value and whether I should even attempt to clean up the piece.

buy some minwax paste wood finishing wax at home depot or lowes-menards if that is what in in your area and wax the piece.  or buy Briwax in the antique mahogany color and wax the piece.  no pledge no oils please.  it should take about two hours or so to do properly.

take off the hardware first, then wax.  use fine steel wood on the hardware just to clean it, do not make it bright.  the cornucopia design is a good one.

use the followup function and post a picture of the drawer  dovetails please and i will comment further.

Antique Furniture

robert klein

Regarding American antique, vintage, and collectible furniture I can help with wood identification, styles, age, periods, historical coatings, materials, techniques, repair, restoration, refinishing. Please read instructions for posting.

I have been in the antiques furniture and restoration business and in the sales of American antique furniture for 40+ years and have continued my education in the trade attending workshops and seminars through several organizations.

Professional Refinishers Groop, Int., AIC, Antiques Dealers Association

BA Florida State University BA University of West Florida 1971

They deserve privacy, sorry.