Antique Furniture/best way to refurbish this buffet?

Question
buffet 1
buffet 1  

buffet 2
buffet 2  
Hello,

I bought this buffet with the original intention to paint it. However, it's in much better condition than I expected!

My questions: what type of wood is this?
What is the best way to refurbish it? The top and sides will need some sanding.

Thank you in advance.

Answer
first clean with mineral spirits--outside--and keep chainging the rags till it comes off clean.

sanding i would discourage.  if the coating is round then buy 320 grit no fil paper at an auto supply or independent hardware or supply.

gently using long strokes wipe the rough surface with the paper---gently--then use antique mahogany color Briwax to wax the piece then enjoy.

mahogany veneer on faces, top probably is as well but might be non veneered.

it is a good one in the classic Federal style

Antique Furniture

robert klein