Antique Furniture/Gladiator/Viking Chair

Viking/Gladiator Chair 1
Viking/Gladiator Chair  

Gladiator Chair
Gladiator Chair  
This unusual chair has been in my grandmother's storage room as long as I can remember.  We recently had it fixed and we are very curious as to its origin, age, and possible value.  Any information you can share would be greatly appreciated.  Thank you.

Often we see this style of chair, always in oak and quartersawn oak made in the Grand Rapids, MI area from 1890-1900.  the carved scene in the back vary from monks carrying barrels of ale to the figure you have here.  although this is the first i have seen of this.  have seen this type of fugure used in miniture as decoration of victorian pieces of furniture from around 1860.

as to value.  if i had it in my shop i would price it at 750-850 minimum.  a fancy high end shop it would be higher perhaps double.

Antique Furniture

robert klein

Regarding American antique, vintage, and collectible furniture I can help with wood identification, styles, age, periods, historical coatings, materials, techniques, repair, restoration, refinishing. Please read instructions for posting.

I have been in the antiques furniture and restoration business and in the sales of American antique furniture for 40+ years and have continued my education in the trade attending workshops and seminars through several organizations.

Professional Refinishers Groop, Int., AIC, Antiques Dealers Association

BA Florida State University BA University of West Florida 1971

They deserve privacy, sorry.