Antique Furniture/Kittenger, drop down

QUESTION: I just purchased this adorable table without knowing it was Kittenger.  I've been excited to learn some of the  Kittenger history but I haven't come across this table yet.  I love the current finish and don't know if it's age/wear or intentional.  Any information you can provide is appreciated!

ANSWER: Hi Jeannette,

Your table was most likely made in the 1920's by Kittinger.  The label is one that
was used during that time period. This style of table is commonly referred to as
a New England Butterfly Drop Leaf Table because of the pull-out leaf supports.

Since it is not a piece that was made for the Williamsburg reproduction program,
which would add to its value, it does not have as great a value.

I place a value of $275. to $350. for it.

Best wishes,

George4 E. Harrison III

Table top
Table top  
QUESTION: How fun to hear my $25 investment paid off!  I am curious about to finish so I am sending one more picture.  I plan to leave it because it's part of the tables character but do you believe it's age/wear or part of the Kittenger refinish technique?  Thanks again-

Hi Jeannette,

After seeing your photo of the top of the table I retract my previous pricing value.

What you paid is pretty much the value since to properly restore the table can cost
you several hundred dollars. The Kittinger finish is a complicated process with
a 27 step finish.  Certainly  not to be tackled by an amateur restorer.
Unfortunately, I do not agree that it adds character to the table and certainly not
a Kittinger table. You need to understand why buyers bought Kittinger furniture
when new. It was all about the finish!

Best George  

Antique Furniture

George E. Harrison III

I am able to answer most questions pertaining to the authenticity,collectability and values of high-end reproduction furniture. As an example, quality furniture produced by leading manufacturers such as Baker, Kittinger, Kindel, Saybolt-Cleland furniture companies. I must have at least one photo for advice. PLEASE READ: No questions will be answered without a photo. View our website at for a sampling of our expertise.

For the past 40 years I have been dealing in the appraisal, buying and selling of fine, pre-owned antique and reproduction furniture. Over the years we have served leading museums, governmental institutions, Fortune 500 companies as well as private collectors. View our website at for a sampling of our expertise. Also, be sure to read our testimonial page.

Maine Antiques Digest

Philadelphia College of Art Study for cabinetmaking.

My honors are my ability to satisfy the highest caliber of my client base, both nationally and internationally. Refer to:

You may refer to my website, for comments posted by our prestigious client base.