Antique Furniture/Kittinger Sideboard

Question
Kittinger
Kittinger  

Kittinger 2
Kittinger 2  
Hello.
I just recently purchased a Kittinger sideboard at an estate sale and am interested in learning it's history.  I would like to know it's approximate age and what style it is.  Additionally I would love to know what it is actually worth (not that I would part with it).
It has a brass plate on the back that reads "Kittinger Buffalo Worthwhile Furniture since 1800"
It has chalk markings on the underside that read "187 and 171".
The only additional mark I can locate is a small stamp which is etched into the wood rails beside the drawers that reads "21"
I appreciate your help and have attached pictures for you.
Thanks in advance!

Answer
Hi Cynthia,

With response to your Kittinger Jacobean style Sideboard, I can tell you that it was most likely made in the 1920's. These pieces became popular for the many English style homes
that were  being built during this time period.

The brass plate that you are referring to should read 1866 not 1800.  This is when the
Kittinger company got it's start. The number 21 that you are referring to is the serial
number of your  piece.

Regarding the value of your piece it should be noted that when the Kittinger company started to produce Colonial style furniture for the Colonial Williamsburg Foundation in 1937 the
Jacobean styles fell out of favor due to the Colonial Revival Period. When visitors started
going to Colonial Williamsburg people all of a sudden they started to want Colonial Style houses and appropriate style furniture.
Since that time period the Jacobean style furniture fell out of favor and it has not made
a return to speak of thus effecting it's value.

As for values they have been suppressed. I see pieces like yours selling for $200. to $300.
Complete dining rooms often sell for $1,000. to $1,500.

Best Wishes,

George E. Harrison III
www.americanainteriors.com/

Antique Furniture

George E. Harrison III