Antique Furniture/Hathaway Furniture NY label

Question
secretariat desk
secretariat desk  
Secretariat desk
Secretariat desk  
QUESTION: I have a beautiful secretarial desk with the Hathaway Furniture, NY label. It is a fold down with pigeon holes and 3 drawers with brass fittings. It was owned by a grandmother and was passed down to a grand daughter who is now a grandmother. I am trying to determine how this piece has been refurbished. The drawers are doweled and appear to be solid oak. It is a deep brown color that appears to be not original. The brass hinges and fittings appear to be original. If this is not the original finish,does this piece have any monetary value?

ANSWER: would you send a close clear picture of the drawer front, i cannot see the wood grain in these.

thanks

please use the followup function to repost pictures

natural light drawer front
natural light drawer f  

flash of front of drawer
flash of front of draw  
QUESTION: Thank you for your interest and response. I am attaching two photos. Two of the front. Thanks you Donna

Answer
wood is walnut veneer.

finish may or may not be original but regardless, it is an old finish.  you should use briwax or johnsons floor wax in the round tin to wax the desk.

retail in a shop about 450 after waxing.

thanks

oh, Hathaways was a furniture store not a manufacturer.  without the manufacturers label we wont know which manufacturer this was purchased from by Hathaways.

Antique Furniture

robert klein