Antique Furniture/Seeking Information and Value

Marble-Topped Dresser
Marble-Topped Dresser  

I inherited this marble-topped dresser from my grandparents and am seeking more information about it.

At this point, I believe it is from the 1880's and is an antique.  It does have a hidden drawer at the bottom.  I looked for markings for company or trade, but was not able to find any.  The bottoms of each drawer actually slide out.  I'm going to be selling it and was wondering it's history and possible resale value.

Any information you may be able to provide would be very helpful and thank you!

not sure what information you ant or need but hers a start:

these are called cottage dressers, the wood appears to be chestnut or ash, i lean to chestnut, the darker will probably be walnut.  i see this combination from pieces in Virginia.

could be handcut dovetails or it could be Knapp joints.  if Knapp joints that would put the date from 1880-1895.  hand cut dovetails would place it from 1865 to 1880.  with a little overlap.

retail in a good shop it would price at 550.

Antique Furniture

robert klein

Regarding American antique, vintage, and collectible furniture I can help with wood identification, styles, age, periods, historical coatings, materials, techniques, repair, restoration, refinishing. Please read instructions for posting.

I have been in the antiques furniture and restoration business and in the sales of American antique furniture for 40+ years and have continued my education in the trade attending workshops and seminars through several organizations.

Professional Refinishers Groop, Int., AIC, Antiques Dealers Association

BA Florida State University BA University of West Florida 1971

They deserve privacy, sorry.