Antique Furniture/Virginia House rocking chair

Virginia House rocking chair
Virginia House rocking  
I'm curious to know if this rocking chair that I have is worth anything. I'd also like to know the type of wood if you're able to see it well enough in the picture. It is not in perfect condition. It is a very solid, heavy and sturdy piece. There is what seems to me to be a gold colored paint used on the outline of the seat of the chair, a floral motif on what I'd consider the headrest and also painted around some of the ribbed areas on the spindles. I'd appreciate any information you could give to me.

Thank you!

wood is pine.  gold painting is either hand painted or stenciled by hand, there is little info on VH company other than it was located in Adkins VA and was bought out in the 1990s.  we have had a few of their rockers in the shop from time to time.  all seemed to be well made and were not gimpy.

in good condition structurally and visually they sell in resale stores and in antique malls at 250/350 depending on condition an location..

hope this helps

Antique Furniture

robert klein

Regarding American antique, vintage, and collectible furniture I can help with wood identification, styles, age, periods, historical coatings, materials, techniques, repair, restoration, refinishing. Please read instructions for posting.

I have been in the antiques furniture and restoration business and in the sales of American antique furniture for 40+ years and have continued my education in the trade attending workshops and seminars through several organizations.

Professional Refinishers Groop, Int., AIC, Antiques Dealers Association

BA Florida State University BA University of West Florida 1971

They deserve privacy, sorry.