Antique Furniture/Antique Chair

antique chair
antique chair  
Hi, I purchased this chair in 1970 in Memphis, one of three or four that he had. Among the stuffing was shredded tobacco which led me to believe it was of southern origin. In all my years of antiquing I have never seen another one like it. Can you give me any information regarding origins and value of this chair, as well as age, if possible. Thank you very much.

looks to be a 1920s chair in birch wood. originally stained a dark cordovan mahogany color as was popular at the time.

it is in the empire style and was a manufactured chair.

had it not been refinished in the past and wore the original color it would sell in a shop at 750-950 each as a pair.  as a single it still has its charm but the previous restoration will hold selling value at 450 tops.  insurance replacement value would be 2.5x

Antique Furniture

robert klein

Regarding American antique, vintage, and collectible furniture I can help with wood identification, styles, age, periods, historical coatings, materials, techniques, repair, restoration, refinishing. Please read instructions for posting.

I have been in the antiques furniture and restoration business and in the sales of American antique furniture for 40+ years and have continued my education in the trade attending workshops and seminars through several organizations.

Professional Refinishers Groop, Int., AIC, Antiques Dealers Association

BA Florida State University BA University of West Florida 1971

They deserve privacy, sorry.