Antique Furniture/Antique Chair

Question
antique chair
antique chair  
Hi, I purchased this chair in 1970 in Memphis, one of three or four that he had. Among the stuffing was shredded tobacco which led me to believe it was of southern origin. In all my years of antiquing I have never seen another one like it. Can you give me any information regarding origins and value of this chair, as well as age, if possible. Thank you very much.

Sincerely,

Lani

Answer
looks to be a 1920s chair in birch wood. originally stained a dark cordovan mahogany color as was popular at the time.

it is in the empire style and was a manufactured chair.

had it not been refinished in the past and wore the original color it would sell in a shop at 750-950 each as a pair.  as a single it still has its charm but the previous restoration will hold selling value at 450 tops.  insurance replacement value would be 2.5x

thanks

Antique Furniture

robert klein